Friday, June 15, 2007

Television vs Film: Round One

"So, what do you do?"

"I'm a screenwriter."

"Cool! You write movies then?"

"Actually no, I write for television."

"Oh...so how bout that local sports team?"

I've had a couple of conversations like that the past couple of days. Guess it's understandable that most people think of features when they think of screenwriting. Telewriting just doesn't have the same ring to it.

In reality people are usually pretty chuffed to hear about my ambitions. "It's cool that you want to write for TV, but wouldn't you prefer to make movies?" Somehow that "but" always creeps its way in. Stealthy bugger.

The answer is No. No, I don't much care for features, I'd rather work in television thanks, and let me tell you why (as if yall didn't see that one coming). Here are some reasons off the top of my head:

Format

I think it was Alex Epstein who wrote that (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Movies are a fling, TV's a relationship." The fact that a TV show allows you to keep coming back to your audience week in week out lets you spin much more complex narratives and create deeper characters than in a film. As a storyteller that's incredibly appealing.

Development Cycles

Theoretically at least, TV development cycles are shorter than their film counterparts. This is more applicable to the States, but we'll let that slide for now. It usually takes years to bring a feature from script to screen. In the world of television people are expecting a bevy of new shows EVERY YEAR. This breakneck pace continues once you go into production, after all you need to write a new episode for the crew to shoot the following week. Once a film goes into production, more often than not, the writer's done.

Roles

Features are a directors medium. Television is a writers medium. Directors are the ones who helm a feature, exerting the most influence on what it will become. In television it's the showrunner (always(?) a writer) who exerts that level of control. I think that it's probably every (television)writers dream to be a showrunner.

Creativity

I think TV is where most (not all, but most) of the cutting edge storytelling is being done. Shows like Battlestar Galactica and Deadwood. The Wire and Friday Night Lights. Slings and Arrows and Intelligence. Life on Mars and Doctor Who. These are shows that confounded my expectations and blew my socks off. I'd be hard pressed to name as many recent films that managed to do the same. And I could go on!

Future Trends

I also think that TV, and the people who work in TV, will be the first to adapt and exploit the opportunities created by new media. Just look at things like Sanctuary (from the team behind Stargate), the BSG Resistance Webisodes or the award winning ReGenesis Extended Reality Game. This is the future of traditional media, and the fierce competition in the television world is going to force use to adapt or die.

That's an incomplete list of why I chose TV over film. I could go on and on (and on), but I don't want to excessively bore anyone.

I love both mediums, I just love TV a little bit more.

Does that make film the read headed stepchild?

No comments: