Tuesday, June 12, 2007

(Don't) Leave Them Hanging

Common wisdom seems to be that open endings aren't the way to go when you're talking about television (and less so for films). Creators should wrap up their series in a nice little package, answer all the audiences questions, don't leave any loose threads. You know...clean up, sweep the floors and turn out the lights when you go.

Just look at the furor going on over The Sopranos finale. Fans are being, well, fanatic, about the whole thing. Most of them want David Chase's head on a platter. They're crashing HBO's website, they're pissed, flooding the intertubes with their vitriol. Clamoring they say "Tell us what happened! Give us answers!"

Why?

This was the perfect ending for a show that embraced uncertainty. There are no easy answers, no black and white morality, just a messy, ugly world. What happened to Tony? I don't know, but I would've been incredibly disappointed if I knew for sure that he got whacked (or arrested, or just went on with his life).

Choosing to go with an open ending was a brave choice and I salute Mr. Chase for sticking to his guns and doing it his way. Thanks for proving that an open ending isn't necessarily "a very bad thing."

2 comments:

Rach said...

Hmmm, interesting point. This is a concept Derek and I always "discuss" at the end of a movie. I am always asking him "that's it?! What happened?" and when he responds with a hearty "We don't know" I shoot back with "Well what do you THINK happened?" I have a compulsion to finish the story. It makes me feel empty when they don't put the cherry on the sunday for me, and I'm a feakin' writer!! But then I go home, and think about it, ponder it, and fall in love with making it up for myself. It's like a delayed reaction, that I've had to force myself to practice.

Oh, and I tried linking to your blog ages ago, but it would not allow it for some strange reason that even my technical savvy (haha) cannot fix.

Rach said...

WHOO HOO!

Blogger: 0
Rach's technical Savvy: 1

I fixed it!!