Monday, June 11, 2007

Babies, Pirates and Sci-Fi, Oh My!

So I had a nice review of Knocked Up all ready to go...and then Blogger ate it. I was going to try to rewrite the whole thing, but I really don't want to. Instead I'm going to post a few quick hits and other random things.

Knocked Up

Fabulous. Finally a romantic comedy that brings an element of reality to the proceedings. This movie is funny because the audience watching it can relate. They all have friends like that. They've all been in situations like that (maybe not knocked up, but definitely regretting a night of drunken debauchery).

Everyone should see this movie.

Pirates: At World's End

Terrible. I spent the first hour and a bit trying to figure out what exactly was going on and why everyone was doing what they're doing. They've got to get Jack because he's a Pirate Lord with one of the nine pieces of eight? I thought they needed him back because he's a friend! They're trying to free Callypso? When did that happen? It felt like the movie was just careening from one set piece to the next, with no rhyme or reason for when or why.

On the plus side the action sequences are good and it was nice to see all the characters again. Still hardly worth the price of admission though.

Space: Above and Beyond

Not sure that anyone remembers this series (ran for a year in 95-96), found a copy of it in the bargain bin and thought I'd pick it up to relive my youth. I wasn't expecting much, I thought it was kind of cheesy when I first saw it at age 15, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Some of the writing is actually pretty good, of note is episode #12 "Who Monitors the Birds?" What impressed me so much about it was the lack of dialogue. Practically the entire episode is silent, told entirely in images. It was done very well.

And isn't it about time that Sci-Fi shed its pariah status? Where does that prejudice come from anyways?

No comments: