Sunday, August 5, 2007

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen..."

"...lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him."

I love Shakespeare. Whenever I'm somewhere that's doing a production I'll do my best to go out and see it.

Some of the highlights:

Seeing Richard III in a Cathedral.
The Taming of the Shrew on top of a mountain.
Romeo & Juliet on a beach.
The "Scottish Play" at Stratford.

I've seen most of Shakespeare's plays, including some of his lesser performed works like Troilus and Cressida. But I'd never seen Julius Caesar, until last night at least.

It was a great performance all around. Nice minimal set design. Great costumes. Solid acting with a couple of stand out performances.

What really set it apart for me though was the number and quality of the soliloquies. Mark Antony, Brutus, Caesar. Of all Shakespeare's plays this one had some of the best speeches.

It's too bad that modern narrative seems to have shifted away from monologues and soliloquies. Sure, every now and then you'll see a show in which a character or two gets a monologue, but somehow they're no where close to Shakespeare.

Anyone have any suggestions for a great, modern, television soliloquy? A "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" type speech for a modern generation?

Sounds like my next project...

1 comment:

brenderlin said...

Tag, you're it.

“Once you’ve been tagged, as I have, you must write a blog post with ten weird, random things, little-known facts or habits about yourself. At the end, choose at least 5 people to be tagged, list their names and why you picked them. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says “you’ve been tagged” and tell them to read your latest blog.”