Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summer Doldrums

Summer's here in force. Record breaking temperatures mean that I've been spending as much time as possible out enjoying the sunshine (gotta stock up on those rays while we can before that cold Canadian winter sets in). Course this means that my writing's taken a hit, or at least my blogging has.

And it's not like there's nothing to be blogging about. The receent CRTC recommendations on the CTF for one. All sorts of geektastic (and that is so a word) movies to see (Die Hard, Transformers, Potter). But really I think that others around the ole' scribosphere are doing a bang up job hitting the highlights, so why should I rehash things?

Let me just say the following...

It's dark times for Canadian television folks. The CRTC suggestions are not only bad for Canadian creatives (8 of 10? Let me just bend over a little bit more), the proposed changes to the funding streams (splitting up the fund into Heritage and "Marketable" streams, as well as the changes to BDUs) is bad for Canadian producers as well.

Make no mistake, this industry is moving inexorably towards the brink. We just have to hope that those in power actually sit down and listen to some of us (WGC, DGC, ACTRA and, yes, even the CFTPA) who are opposed to these regulatory changes.

If I had a real seat at the table then you bet your ass I'd be raising a stink. But I don't, at least not yet. So rather than spend time getting an ulcer over it, I'm going to go and enjoy the sunshine.

Someone pass me a nice alcoholic beverage with an umbrella in it.

2 comments:

J. Nadiger said...

Transformers is so very, very awesome.

Peter said...

Awesome enough to save Canadian Television?